This is a personal blog. The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of any of my employers or customers.

Except if stated otherwise, all the code shared is reusable under a MIT/X11 licence. If a picture is missing a copyright notice, it's probably because I'm owning it.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Chipmunk bindings for MonoTouch

(c) S. Delcroix 2013
I'm quite pleased to announce the availability of Chipmunk bindings for monotouch. I started that last year, and bound just enough of it to get a sample working, added some constraints lately in order to place labels, and completed it since for the beauty of the task. The image next to this is a screenshot from a system using a motor, a gear joint, pivot joints and some more.

At this point in time, the ~2000 lines of manually crafted lines of code can be found in this pull request, but you probably won't have to wait long before it's merged in the monotouch-bindings repository.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Our business app doesn't need your game development skills (using damped springs to place labels on a map)

The problem

Positioning labels on a map, a chart, a plan is a problem every UI developer face at one time or another if he has the chance to work on rich business app. This problem is NP-Hard for non-trivial cases. I faced that issue twice. First while building a silverlight charting library, and then very recently for positioning labels around a pin on a plan. This post isn't about how we solved those two cases. For the charting problem, we went for an algorithmic solution which was working but not optimal. For the second, I don't know how they solved it as I didn't took the job.