The code for this is a GdkPixbuf loader, based on this specification (moved there since) and some xcf hexdumps, meaning it's suitable to be released under the LGPL for gdk-pixbuf inclusion. (Googling around, I found some mail archives stating that the GPL(The Gimp)/LGPL (gdk-pixbuf) issue was preventing the inclusion of a loader based on The Gimp's code in gdk).
- read xcf files up to v002,
- compressed and rle-encoded,
- grayscale and rgb color modes,
- supports all kinds of layer blending,
- supports layer masks
- .xcf.gz and .xcf.bz2 support (for jimmac),
- indexed mode
Clone this piece of awesomeness from
oader/mainline.gitand report bugs by e-mail. Build it, copy the .so next to the others loaders on your system and run gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders[-64].
(Get the sample file I used for those screenshots from there)